U.S. citizens or resident aliens report on their worldwide income on the U.S. tax returns. Additionally the rules for filing income, estate gift tax returns and for paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are living in the U.S. or abroad. There are special considerations for foreign nationals as Germany for example has a dual taxation treaty (Doppelsteuerabkommen) with the U.S.

    For example you may not be a Green Card holder, yet the U.S. might still consider you a resident for the purposes of taxes. This occurs via the so called substantial presence test. Additionally, you can be taxed on property that you own in the U.S. Also FIRPTA regulations may apply to you.

    Each tax situation requires individual attention. Please contact our office to discuss your options.

    “...but in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.” — Benjamin Franklin